ASQ CCT exam

Started by farmerrd2, 10-25-2004 -- 17:36:06

Previous topic - Next topic

farmerrd2

I would like to hear anyone's opinions of the American Society for Quality (ASQ) certification for the Certified Calibration Technician.
http://www.asq.org/cert/types/cct/index.html

MIRCS

Not the easiest exam in the world from what I hear.

Willhuggins

Well I just got my certification.  I found the test to be a lot easier then I was expecting, though I would advise anybody who takes it to get up to speed on basic statistics and uncertainty analysis.

Sigler

I received my ASQ certification June 04. It was much easier than I thought it was going to be. I did need all the time allotted to finish it. The ASQ study guide helped. If you need more help, ASQ does offer a refresher course.

griff61

My opinion is that the entire ASQ/17025 approach to technician certification is no more than a money grab. I find it especially interesting that for the purposes of 17025 requirements they don't accept PMEL, which has been around quite a while, but do accept the ASQ CCT which has far too great a reliance on Quality control subjects, not enough metrology, and NO practical.
What they've done is create a requirement (that they get paid to check for) for a certification that didn't exist and then created the certification, which they sell. Of course its cheaper if you are a paid member of ASQ and ironically they have no organizational listing for Cal Technician. Completely ignoring the fact that PMEL more than covers the true subject matter.
Sarcasm - Just one more service I offer

ken91379

For those that have taken the CCT test, can you bring any personal notes or only the notes from the class that ASQ provides??

On the ASQ FAQ it says, "Personally generated materials and notes from training or refresher courses are allowed, under the following conditions
*Each examinee must make his/her reference materials available to the proctor for review.

*Absolutely no collections of questions and answers or weekly refresher course quizzes are permitted."

-KEN

grach

ASQ's CCT exam was created with the purpose of establishing a base-line i.e. reference, general level of knowledge comprehension congruent with other professional occupations. I agreed to spearhead the development of the CCT program after reading several want ads for calibration technicians, all from a reputable calibration laboratory, that essentially required only the equivalent of a high school education and some basic working knowledge of electronics to meet their requirements. This reputable calibration lab I knew supported some critical governmental programs and being a former PMEL troop, it p----- me off and got me motivated.

This month CCT alumni has exceeded 500 folks after the 03Dec exam offering.

Freezer

I agree that there should be some baseline, but doesn't graduating from PMEL school count for anything?  That should have been the baseline, with the CCT exam available for those who weren't in the military, or who weren't in PMEL but had some knowledge and aptitude.  I don't think it's a total money grab, there appear to be good intentions (like yours grach) behind the effort, but it does seem to walk like a duck... :-)  If employers would stick to a set of requirements, any requirements, there wouldn't be a need for *another* benchmark.  Too often employers will take what they can get in an effort to save money, or just to get someone to take a job in an undesirable location rather than paying what it takes to get a good, experienced, qualified technician.

grach

Freezer – PMEL graduation does count! In fact, the CCT body of knowledge (BOK) level was geared towards a person who had completed PMEL School (or equivalent technical school) and had a least 3 years experience on the bench. The key here is demonstrated knowledge comprehension. Let me offer an example I have personnel experience with. An individual who had graduated from PMEL and worked 5 years on the bench in the 1980's went to work in another technical related occupation. After 10 years in this other related field he decided to return to Metrology field. On paper his qualifications were very impressive, his understanding of general Metrology principals and practices were equally as impressive but on the bench he was lost - in a word, incompetent.

A one time acedamic accomplishment does not guarantee a person is still at the knowledge comprehension level as when the accomplishment occurred. The is one of the main reasons I fought to make sure the CCT program requires periodic recertification by providing documented evidence of continuous work in the Metrology field coupled with evidence of  continuous improvement/education/training or by retaking the exam. Most would agree staying current in knowledge comprehension is common sense for such a technically challenging and changing field as Metrology. The same can not be said for occupations of a less technical/dynamic nature.

Your remarks about employers changing the playing field to suit their particular purpose(s) is an unfortunate reality. I believe as the CCT program gains wider acceptance in industry and government you will see it become an enabler similar to Certified Quality Engineer (CQE) and Certified Reliability Engineer (CRE) are to their respective fields. - grach

Freezer

I think I understand a little better now.  Thanks for the info! :-)
  There will still have to be some industry and military backing of these standards.  It's been my experience (probably limited) that both of those entities will waive such requirements when faced with the cost.  Maybe they'll do it this time.  I understand there may be some backing from Air Staff for the CCT, and that's a good thing (for Air Force labs).
   I don't mind the benchmark, perse, as long as the playing field is level.  You can't waive the requirement in Alaska, Greenland, or North Dakota, because it difficult to get folks up there, but enforce it in Florida and California because there are plenty of qualified folks in those locations.
  It seems like it comes down to dollars.  Rather than pay what it takes, they waive the requirement for a warm body that acutally WANTS to go there.